Tuesday, February 26, 2008

new painting



I think I did this one in three hours.... not quite sure though. I really like it! I do have some issues with it and I hope to resolve them in the next couple of paintings I plan on doing.
  1. Since the tree outside of my studio has been trimmed, it has been very bright, thus affecting the lighting in the painting. I think it's too dark so I will paint my next painting in the evening (under florescent lighting... not very fond of that either)
  2. The canvas really absorbs the paint so I either need to put more gesso on the canvas or thicken the paint up abit... it will take a few attempts to figure out. Last time I did a painting like this, it was on resin so the surface was really slick. I tend to be really attracted to slick surfaces when it comes to paintings like this. I'm also going to purchase more of this matt medium for oils (can't remember the name). When it's mixed with the oils it's like butter.
  3. The stretcher bar is too thick.
  4. I almost want to varnish the surface but my painting teacher is sooo against that.
  5. I need to utilize gravity and spontaneity more in the next paintings.
  6. If all else fails I'll glaze back into this painting (probably a really good idea but still need time away from it)
There's alot that I love about this painting too though so yeah... I'm pretty proud of it. I think it's a really great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment