Monday, September 15, 2008

Review

Alrighty… so, as previously mentioned, I was able to go to NYC this Friday (after not having been there in two years) and check out the art in Chelsea. There was lots of good work, a few incredible pieces, and even more bad work that has been blocked out of my memory (except for the exceptionally bad pieces). There was a lot to take in so it’s taken me a few days to digest it all and form a semi solid opinion of what I experienced. The first two shows we saw were videos; the first artist projected videos in little boxes that were created to look like theaters. The second museum had videos by the artist Kota Ezawa. There were two videos, the first was an animation of a basket ball game -- wasn’t into it so much; the second was a silent animation (3D) which I absolutely loved! I wasn’t able to look at the press release (although I spose I could hurry and look it up on-line) so I don’t know exactly what it was referring to but I think I have a pretty good idea… it was visually and psychologically moving to me; Mr. Saltz might write about it cause I noticed he signed the guest book. The whole day was a little fragmented to me because I was taking in so much information while trying to function with only having an hour and a half nights sleep so this whole explanation of the experience will be a bit fragmented as well…. That and I don’t really feel like writing very well tonight so this is a little half assed and forced. Onward... I’m going to start listing some of the artists’ work we saw and leave my opinion... can't find example pics... you'll have to find those on your own

• Keith Tyson @ Pace Wildenstein- I loved the work and loved it even more after I read about it. His sculptures are reminiscent of Mondrian paintings but he says they are influenced by Sol LeWitt. I think the way in which they are created is the best part “They are generated according to rules whereby basic elements- the cube and six colors- are determined by rolls of a die. Each begins with a plain box. With each roll, a color associated with a number is added to a side. New boxes whose colors, sizes, shapes and placements are also determined by dice rolls are added to the original box, and so on”.

• Ron Amstutz @ Wallspace- so bad! but for some reason it made me feel like dancing.

• All Cut Up @ Roebling Hall- Loved it! (I would…)

• Shannon Plumb @ Sara Meltzer gallery- The majority of the group thought she was funny but I thought her videos were obnoxious and in bad taste.

• Joseph Smolinski @ Mixed Greens- UCONN Alum… I’m so proud!

• XU Zhen, Folkert de Jong, Martha Colburn @ James Cohan Gallery- This show was the shit! Especially “Myth Lab” by Marth Colburn… insanely good!

• Olivier Blanckart @ P.P.O.W- The majority hated it… I, on the other hand, quite liked it. It is easy to dislike though…. A little over the top but I couldn’t help but love it.

• John McCracken @ David Zwirner- Love, Love, Loved it! Wanted to lick each and every one of his minimalist sculptures.

• Louise Bourgeois @ Cheim & Read- enough said… you can’t go wrong with this woman

• Vik Muniz @ Sikkema Jenkins & CO.- really great idea… never knew the back side of famous historical artworks could be so beautiful.

• Sally Smart @ postmasters- This was an especially good show for me to see since I’m using similar presentation strategies. All in all I really enjoyed the work. I also got to meet her… she is adorable.

• Christian Marclay @ Paula Cooper Gallery- Amazing… look him up!

• Carl Andre @ Paula Cooper Gallery- I about shit my pants…

No comments:

Post a Comment