Saturday, November 8, 2008

MFA/ICA

My grad group and I took a trip to two Museums today; the ICA and MFA.
Both were exceptionally mind blowing! The first was the ICA located in Boston Mass. I've never been before so I was really excited to go, since I've heard so god damned much about it. It definitely met my expectations (still not as good as Dia, but very close). I got to see a body of work by Tara Donovan and it was phenomenal!!! It's one thing to look at a picture of her work (they're pretty intense even with a picture) but it's absolutely imperative to see her work in person, to fully comprehend the pure genius that they are. She is very aware of the way the eye works (vision) gravity, color and gestalt. The only trouble I had with the work was the space that they were sitting in, although some sculptures worked in the space better than others. She did have one piece that was site specific and I found it to be very successful. I'm pretty damned impressed though... each piece looks as though it is alive and breathing when you walk around it.

Tara Donovan



the MFA consisted of a show containing Rachel Whiteread. Yet another brilliant artist that I haven't experienced in real before. Her negative castes were my favorite. You do get that sense of loss when your next to them... very provocative. She had a bunch of drawing/collages and an installation of doll houses as well, I wasn't as in to those but still thought the work was quite lovely. After that I went through the rest of the Museum and got wholly and completely absorbed in the beauty of Egyptian and Etruscan artifacts.... I can't get enough of it.

Rachel Whiteread

No comments:

Post a Comment